Mr. Clausen practices extensively in all areas of family law including divorce, complex asset and debt division, child custody and support, spousal maintenance, paternity, domestic abuse, and harassment. He is licensed in the State of Minnesota and Federal Court. Mr. Clausen believes in thorough preparation for his cases and active involvement with his clients.
He is a strong advocate for his client’s position. He is a member of the Minnesota, Hennepin and Ramsey County Bar Associations. Mr. Clausen is an active volunteer with several organizations including the Tubman Center and Resource Center for Fathers and Families. He has over fifteen years of litigation and alternative dispute resolution experience. Mr. Clausen is also a mediator and Qualified Neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice and is also on the provider list of the Ramsey County Financial Early Neutral Evaluation Panel.
Mr. Clausen’s professional experience includes:
- Successfully litigating several modification of legal and physical custody cases;
- Successfully litigating numerous initial establishment of legal and physical custody cases;
- Successfully obtaining property settlement awards in complex, high net worth, dissolution cases;
- Obtaining need-based and conduct-based attorney fee awards, of up to $30,000;
- Negotiating settlements involving privately held businesses and self-employed individuals;
- Successfully litigating numerous Order for Protection and Harassment Restraining Order cases;
- Successfully represented individuals seeking out-of-state relocation with minor children;
- Significant experience working in conjunction with financial planners in spousal maintenance cases; mental health professionals in custody/parenting time conflicts; and financial experts in cases involving business valuation and forensic accounting issues;
- Experience in Motions for Amended Findings/New Trial and Appeals to the Minnesota Court of Appeals;
- Extensive Litigation in the areas of temporary and permanent spousal maintenance, establishment and modification of custody and parenting time, property settlement, allocation of debt & child support;
- Participated in numerous Financial Early Neutral Evaluations & Social Early Neutral Evaluations on behalf of clients; and
- Negotiated numerous dissolution settlements through Alternative Dispute Resolution (via Mediation, SENE, FENE and settlement conferences).
Current Employment Position :
Areas Of Practice :
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- State Appellate Practice
- Personal Injury
- Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1999
- Prairie Island Indian Community Tribal Court
- William Mitchell College of Law, Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1998, J.D.
- University of St. Thomas, Saint Paul, Minnesota, B.A.
- Leroy v. Leroy, 600 N.W.2d 729 (Minn. App 1999)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
Past Employment Positions:
- Carlson & Soldo, P.L.L.P. Associate/Partner, 2002-2004
- Lubov & Associates, LLC, Associate, 2000-2002
- Westrick & McDowell-Nix, P.L.L.P., Associate, 1998-2000
Pro Bono Activities:
- Tubman Center
- Center for Parental Responsibility
- Resource Center for Fathers & Families
- Law Clinic – St. Mary’s Hospital