Going through a divorce is one of the most difficult and challenging chapters in a person’s life. Most people feel scared of the process, uncertain of the future, and vulnerable. It is at this exact time that the support of an attorney who will look out for their best interests becomes invaluable.
I pride myself on being able to empathize with my client’s situation, being responsive, and being a strong advocate for my client. Whether the issue is custody related or is financial in nature, I strive to guide my clients through the maze of the family law process and help them carve out a future where they will be able to achieve their goals.
Professional ExperienceMr. Hassan concentrates his practice, which spans a period of over eighteen years, on all areas of family law. His family law practice includes issues involving divorce, custody, spousal maintenance, and complex property division. Mr. Hassan has extensive litigation experience and he has appeared before numerous trial court judges throughout the seven county metropolitan area at trials, motion hearings and other contested hearings.
- Successfully litigating several modification of legal and physical custody cases;
- Successfully litigating numerous initial establishment of legal and physical custody cases;
- Successfully obtaining property settlement awards in complex, high net worth, dissolution cases;
- Obtaining need-based and conduct-based attorney fee awards, of up to $50,000;
- Negotiating settlements involving privately held businesses and self-employed individuals;
- Successfully litigating and obtaining an award of in excess of $300,000 in a case involving dissipation of assets;
- Successfully litigating numerous Order for Protection cases; involving custody & parenting time;
- Successfully representing individuals seeking out-of state relocation;
- Significant experience working in conjunction with financial planners in spousal maintenance cases; mental health professionals in custody/parenting time conflicts; and financial experts in cases involving business valuation and forensic accounting issues;
- Extensive experience in Motions for Amended Findings/New Trial and Appeals to the Minnesota Court of Appeals;
- Successfully defending clients charged with sexual abuse;
- Extensive Litigation in the areas of temporary and permanent spousal maintenance, establishment and modification of custody and parenting time, property settlement, allocation of debt & child support;
- Appearance in numerous Financial Early Neutral Evaluations & Social Early Neutral Evaluations on behalf of clients; and
- Negotiated numerous dissolution settlements through Alternative Dispute Resolution (via Mediation, SENE, FENE and settlement conferences).
Current Employment Position :
Areas Of Practice :
- Family Law;
- Criminal Defense; and
- Family Appellate Practice.
- Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2003
- William Mitchell College of Law, Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1998, J.D., cum laude
- Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, 1995, B.A.
- Sommer v. Sommer, C7-02-179, filed July 16, 2002
- Young v. Young, C9-02-104, filed June 4, 2002
- Hennepin County v. Johnson, A06-938, filed January 16, 2007
- Van Dyck v. Van Dyck, A06-442, filed February 20, 2007
- In re the Paternity, Custody and Support of A.E.M.L. by J.D.E., and S.M.L., A07-1207, filed July 1, 2008
- Jessica Hafermann and obo PH, KH, and TH v. Kevin Hafermann, A10-591, filed January 4, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Adjunct Representation Professor, William Mitchell College of Law (2008-present)
- Former Member, Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (Membership Committee & Annual Conference)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Former Director, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter
- Voted “Rising Star” in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2013 — Minnesota Law and Politics.
- Voted as a Minnesota SuperLawyer in 2014 and 2015.
Past Employment Positions:
- Associate Attorney, Private Practice, February 1999 – June 2004
- Sixth Judicial District, Law Clerk, The Honorable David P. Sullivan, August 1998 – February 1999
Pro Bono Activities:
- Tubman Center (2001 — present)