Interested Third Party

Under Minnesota law, an Interested Third Party can petition the Court for either custody and/or parenting time with a minor child.  Under this proceeding, a person who may or may not be related to the minor child may bring an Interested Third Party proceeding and seek legal custody, physical custody, or parenting time with a minor child.

There must be a significant and substantial relationship between the minor child and the Interested Third Party before an Interested Third Party Petition for Custody and/or Parenting Time is brought.  In addition, the Court must be provided with facts which would show why it is in the best interests of the minor child to award the custody and/or parenting time to the Interested Third Party.  These facts include the following factors:

  1. wishes of the parties as to custody;
  2. the reasonable preference of the child;
  3. the child’s primary caretaker;
  4. the intimacy of the relationship between the child and each party;
  5. the interaction of the child with the parties or with any other person;
  6. the child’s adjustment to home, school and community;
  7. the length of time the child has lived in a stable environment;
  8. the permanence of the existing or proposed custodial home;
  9. the mental and physical health of all parties, including the child;
  10. capacity of the parties to provide the child love, affection and guidance;
  11. the child’s cultural background; and
  12. domestic abuse issues.

In an Interested Third Party proceeding, the Court typically compares the competing interests involved between the parties (for example, a biological parent versus the Interested Third Party).

Because third parties are involved, the legal situation can be complex.  Courts are cognizant of the parent’s biological relationship with their children; yet, the Court has to balance the child’s welfare, emotional and physical safety and any other sepcial circumstances when it comes to these proceedings.

An interested third party has the burden of proof to show that certain factors are met, such as abandonment, neglect, disregard for the child’s well-being, physical or emotional danger, or other extraordinary circumstances.

Free Consultation

If your case involves Interested Third Party Custody or Interested Third Party Parenting Time issues, contact our Minnesota Family Law Attorneys for a free consultation at 651-647-0087.

What Should You Do If You Have An Order For Protection Against You And You Are Asking For Custody Or Parenting Time Rights?

In the event that you have an Order for Protection against you that protects either the petitioner (i.e. spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend) or your child(ren), the law in Minnesota requires the court to consider a finding of domestic abuse considering … Continue reading