Once you are served with Divorce papers (Summons and Petition), you should read the documents very carefully. This will help you understand what the issues are going to be in your divorce and what your spouse is asking for. Understand that Petition for Divorce is a document, which is needed to start a divorce and just because your spouse may be asking for everything or may appear unreasonable, it does not mean your spouse will actually get that result.

After you have read the documents, you should begin looking for an attorney to represent you during the process. Your attorney will help you respond to the papers, either through an Answer and Counter-Petition or simply by contacting your spouse’s attorney.

Once you have been served with Divorce papers, it is important to respond and act. A failure to respond may result in a “default,” which could mean that the divorce may be issued by the court without your input or further notice.

Share This Article