If a party is the recipient of spousal maintenance (alimony) or child support, it is a good idea to include a provision in the Divorce Decree which requires the obligor (the party paying child support, spousal maintenance) to secure life insurance on his or her life for the remaining amount of the support obligation.  For example, if one year of child support is Ordered at $500 per month, the Divorce Decree can require the Obligor to carry life insurance on his or her life in an amount of at least $6,000 (one year of child support payments).

Schedule Now

Share This Article